Today is Giving Tuesday in the US and the start of the Holiday Giving Season.
If you think about it, the entire community of professionals, i.e., social workers and foster parents, are “giving” people – throughout the year and not just on Giving Tuesday!
We salute the entire Foster Care Community for the great work they do every day. Many in this community are involved with non-profits and fundraising. So here is how to figure out when Giving Tuesday falls every year:
- Start with Thanksgiving (US): Thanksgiving in the US is the fourth Thursday in November. This is the anchor date we use o figure out the calendar date for Giving Tuesday later in this post.
- Black Friday: Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving. Physical retail, including malls, sees a great deal of foot traffic. Everyone starts buying gifts for the holiday season, and there are great discounts on several products, including electronics, toys, and apparel. Traditionally, retailers used to be making a loss till Thanksgiving day – hence their accounting books were in the “Red.” Given the massive boost in sales, their accounting books turned “black,” or they went into profit.
- Small Business Saturday: Small Business Saturday was started by American Express in 2010 to encourage shopping with local businesses.
- Cyber Monday: Cyber Monday started in 2005 and was intended to promote online shopping in the early days.
- Giving Tuesday: Giving Tuesday was created in 2012 as a global generosity movement. It is also positioned just after all the indulgences and spending over the long Thanksgiving weekend. It signals the formal start of the giving season to coincide with the upcoming Holidays, including Christmas and New Year. It is also a great time to fundraise by non-profits as donations till December 31 are eligible for tax deductions for US donors. Since it is essential for non-profits to plan for Giving Tuesday – here are the dates for 2022 and upcoming years based on Thanksgiving Dates.:
- 2022 Giving Tuesday: November 29.
- 2023 Giving Tuesday: November 28.
- 2024 Giving Tuesday: December 3.
- 2025 Giving Tuesday: December 2.
- 2026 Giving Tuesday: December 1.
- 2027 Giving Tuesday: November 30.